Saturday 23 July 2011

Brown, White and Gold






 

 Sir Christopher Wren was responsible for the design and building of 51 churches in the City of London after the Great Fire in 1669. There is another church he designed, St. James's on Picadilly, now a major thoroughfare and at the heart of the theatre and entertainment district. When this church was built in 1672, it was the outskirts of London. 

I went into this church on my way to see friends in the Design Blog Collective this week and had to take a few minutes to admire the building. When I walked in and saw the light and space, then the beautiful decoration in brown, white and gold I was uplifted and reminded of how satisfying Classicism can be: Proportion, balance, symmetry. And the color, wow, Sir Christopher Wren always amazes me.






No comments:

Post a Comment