Tuesday 31 May 2011

Reviews

It was a very good weekend, sunny, a little cool but lovely. There was time to catch up reading the reviews in the New York Times and The Times in London

Being a movie buff all my life, I love reading about the new releases and the one that is receiving much attention is The Tree of Life by Terrance Malick. It won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Festival and it looks to be a movie experience, full of reflection and memories. In the many facets that go into making a film, one part that I have found always helps to tell the story is the lighting. I think Stephen Speilberg is very good with this and all the old black and whites.

In the review I read in the NY Times the production designer Jack Fisk explains how they searched for the right house of the period, the 50's, in Texas and then shot the film all by natural light. For interior shots they would film in the middle of the day and outside scenes were shot in the afternoon in the falling light.

Source: nytimes.com via Kelly on Pinterest


In the article the simplicity and the pared down aesthetic in Edward Hopper's paintings was the another inspiration they had in designing the sets and for the type of house they found. And also I am sure, the quality of light; the shadows and streaming sun light.
  



You know how I find natural light important to the designing of interior space, it was a delight to read how this team of film makers have incorporated it into the story of this family. 

I have yet to see this movie, but looking forward to it when I am with my family in a few weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment